Sunday, April 3, 2011

Going Green



My efforts this Spring have been rewarded with better results than usual. I started my plants way early and have been rewarded with a rather bountiful crop of herbs. I have Lemon Basil, Italian Basil, Globe Basil, Lavender, Sage, Oregano, Thyme, and Mint. They say it is not a good idea to grow mint from seed since it does not breed true, but I am hoping to breed out any issues once I get more plants established. These plants are growing inside thanks to my AeroGardens. Outside, I have a tomato plant along with cherry tomatoes, two different varieties of peppers, salvia, tulips, hyacinths, and strawberries. I managed to pick up a lovely white geranium for the front of my house. I think it will set off the rustic flowerbed my son and I put in in front of our porch. In an effort to show my kids how what one my family does can affect the enviornment, I have also started a compost pile. The kids have responded well to this and are excited to see all the different materials that can be composted and how the materials break down over time. They want to try vermicomposting next, but I want to see how our first batch of compost turns out before making any commitments.






No comments:

Post a Comment