Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Looks, or the lack thereof...


It has recently been brought to my attention that I am not a "looker"any more. What exactly constitutes a looker? Does the fact that someone is not supermodel material make them any less valuable an addition to the human race? In my defense, I submit that I have gained weight, and I that I dress for practicality and affordability more than I do for any sort of va-va-voom factor.

I admit that in the years following the births of my children and the moving all over the country that being an army wife entails, my jeans and I developed an unhealthy attachment that turned mutually exclusive. It really is easier to chase after kids and chauffeur everyone around while not being in stilettos.

I have no problem with women that manage to look fabulous at all times, but I thought we were leaving the fifties era sitcom mothers and wives in the past where they belong. Instead, I find myself asking exactly what was it that the feminist movement actually accomplished?

Here we are in 2009, and women still get paid less than men in the same jobs, we still have no paid maternity leave, there are still numerous career fields where women are thought to be handicapped by their gender if they are even seen at all, and women are still at the mercy of designers who have no concept of equating the runway to real life.

I cannot make other people accept me, or even value me, but what I can do is to make sure that their negativity does not damage my self-worth. I cannot say what size I will be at this time next year; but I can say that I will love myself even if the figure looking back at me in the mirror is not svelte, because I will have tried my best to improve myself, for myself, and myself alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment